The Most Affordable Passive House in North America
Our pre-certified passive house plans and material kits have been shipped to customers across the United States including in Maine, North Carolina, and New York.
We are EkoBuilt, based in Ottawa, Canada, and we’re certain that we design and ship the most affordable passive house option in North America.
It’s this easy:
- Choose your preferred EkoBuilt passive house plan (request changes to suit your life style or site).
- We ship the passivehouse and engineer approved weathertight material kit direct to your location (more on this below) and offer an on-site visit by EkoBuilt.
- You build yourself or engage local tradespeople to do it for you.
- Enjoy the supreme comfort of your new passive home and its super-low energy costs.
Pre-Certified Passive House Kit
Smart, Affordable & Awesome
See our most popular passive house design, The Hummingbird, a 4-bed, 2-bath bungalow.
Passive House Plans
Our house plans range in size from the very modest (starting at 400 sq ft) to the generous 3,200 sq ft). Although we default to slab on grade, any plan can include a full basement or walkout basement. We can also incorporate a carport or garage.
Our passive homes are popular across ages and stages – first home, vacation home, off-grid home, tiny home, secondary dwelling, and more. They are loved by urbanites and country folk alike!
Our pre-certified passive house kits work particularly well for: the Do-it-Yourselfer, the small builder or contractor, the owner-builder who wants to act as their own general contractor.
Don’t see a plan that you like? Bring us your vision, and we’ll make it happen!
Pre-Certified Passive House Kit
Our weathertight material kit is where the pre-certified passive designation comes in. The kit can be put together by any experienced carpenter.
Our kit is actually provided to our US customers in three bundles:
- We ship our proprietary passive house components from our location: passive approved permeable air barrier sheathing / vapor barrier sheathing / water barrier house wrap;
- We source some of the lumber components and roof truss system in the customer’s local area (cost savings and lesser environmental impact);
- Our passive certified window and door supplier is set up for US logistics and these are shipped direct to your location.
The material kit in summary
Available in detail in a downloadable PDF too.
- All conceptual and construction drawings; P.Eng certification ($1,000 allowance for local state licensed engineer)
- Exterior wall assembly
- Roof system
- Windows and doors
- Interior partitions, eave framing, passive approved gaskets and tapes
Our homes are guaranteed for 0.6 ACH or lower (air changes per hour).
See our Passive House Building Systems page for a great overview of all EkoBuilt home components, materials, and recommended mechanical systems.
EkoBuilt’s owner, Paul Kealey, will also conduct a site visit during the project and is available to answer questions.
Ready to take the next step?
Whether you plan to use one of our passive floorplans or to bring us ideas for your own, please get in touch with us!