The new Pine Valley coach house at our EkoModel Home in Dunrobin, Ontario includes an extremely cool new tiling solution: magnetic tiles. Find out more!Read More
Canada Greener Homes Grant
The federal government recently launched its Canada Greener Homes Grant. In brief, the grant provides various incentive options for existing homes to upgrade their energy efficiency, however no grants are available for new homes, even though housing starts in many parts of the country continue to grow (in our own local area, new builds are huge in a hot real estate market). In this article, we ask why the government won’t also support homeowners in building highly energy efficient homes right out of the gate.Read More
Top 10 Sustainable Stocking Stuffers
It goes without saying that most of us have more than we need. When considering gifts for the upcoming holiday season, looking local is a great way to go. The following is a round-up of some gifts with a sustainability focus:
- Tree Canada tree seed kits: planting a tree doesn’t get easier than this.
- Guide 10 sun powered battery charger: With the Guide 10 Plus Recharger you have a portable, rugged charging kit as adventurous as you are. Ideal for: Phone, GPS, Headlamp.
- Ninja Stars Solar LED Deck Accent Lighting: Whether you are trying to show off your deck or prevent trips and falls.
- Solar LED security spotlight: Sunlight at night-time!
- Poop Bags Made with Plants in USA: ‘Cuz the one thing your doggie’s doo-doo shouldn’t do is hang around in a landfill for 500 years.
- Planet Earth DVD: With its jaw-dropping, pole-to-pole, high-def footage, Planet Earth is a must-see for anyone claiming to be a greenie or just a lover of this planet.
- Wikki Stix: Made from simple, non-toxic ingredients (just yarn and food-grade wax) Wikki Stix inspire endless kid (and parent) creativity. Canadians can look in Scholar’s Choice, Staples and other retailers for this classic craft material.
- DIY Wildflower Seed Ball Kit: A seemingly rebellious way to add some beauty to the neighbourhood! Retailing at $21 from uncommon goods, this cool gift ships to Canada.
- Eco-pen 12 Pack: Write Santa a thank-you letter with a pen that’s made of a cornstarch plastic, which will fully biodegrade in a year.
- Ecojot Jumbo Journals: This Canadian company has truly sustainable roots. Notebook paper is 100% post-consumer recycled – made entirely from old waste paper in the award-winning Cascades mill in Québec, Canada. All inks and glues are vegetable based, and all black and kraft boards are sourced from sustainable suppliers in North America. Ecojot was awarded the Ancient Forest Friendly and Order of the Forest Awards by Canopy in 2012. The company has also supplied thousands of books to kids in need around the globe with its Buy 1/Give 1 campaign.
Finally, how about a gift with pretty much no ecological footprint but loads of awesome?
Adopt a Star
Can you really name a star? Absolutely. If you know someone who’d be wowed by such a gift, the Pale Blue Dot Adopt-a Star program is the recommended route, as it is a non-profit site that actually benefits Kepler research.