Since launching the blog for our Ottawa Passive House project this spring, the most popular post has been Insulation in a Passive House. We’re never surprised when posts focusing on design – like the one on Douglas Fir timbers in home design – prove popular, but you clearly love the practical stuff too.
No surprise, really, when you consider that good insulation will make your home comfortable, energy efficient and healthy.
The EkoBuilt Model Home is insulated with Thermocell’s ProCell Blue, a blown cellulose insulation. In our books, this is the most cost-effective insulation on the market. For a side-by-side cost and effectiveness comparison with insulation more typically found in conventional house builds, see below.
But what else should you know about ProCell Blue?
- It’s affordable – similar in cost to batts or loose fill fibreglass.
- It’s eco-friendly – being made with 100% post-consumer recycled newsprint.
- It’s high performance – with superior thermal, acoustical and fire resistant properties.
- It’s healthy – safe and non-toxic, it will not cause skin irritation or itching while also repelling insects and rodents.
- It’s easy – being straightforward and versatile to apply, offering seamless coverage.
- It will save you money – trimming easily 20 to 30% off your home’s energy bills.
If you want to learn more, follow the link to Thermocell’s website.
Cost comparison: conventional application vs. passive house application
For the purposes of comparison, let’s use EkoBuilt’s Trillium Passive House plan: this four-bedroom home includes 2250 ft.² of roof space and 3300 ft.² of wall space.
Below are comparison costs for three different insulation options for the Trillium house plan:
Wall insulation value = R22
Roof insulation value = R40
Cost of rockwool batt insulation = $15,600
Cost of spray foam insulation = $17,900
Wall insulation value = R75
Roof insulation value = R120
Cost of ProCell Blue cellulose insulation = $18,250
As you can see, we’re achieving three times the insulation value at very little additional cost. We’re also getting the benefit of an amazing product that uses a natural stabilizer, borate, which renders it completely fire retardant, mold and mildew proof, as well as insect proof. What more could you ask for?
EkoBuilt’s ProCell Blue Installer
Please feel free to contact our Ottawa-area insulation installer to get a quote or more information for your own home insulation: